Wednesday, May 10, 2006

For What It's Worth....

While I'm on the subject of local news, I've noticed a change in tone, recently, of the Newton Tab, it seems more relaxed and chatty. I'm not sure if this change comes from the editors, from the fact that it sold (and was previously on the block) or a conscious effort by the overall CNC group, but it's worth noting.

Also worth noting is the paper's new blog. The editors are practically begging for comments by ending just about every post with a question, which can be a bit annoying, but it's certainly a good start. I'd like to see how this develops over time.

One shortcoming the paper has long had is it's weekly publishing schedule. This means that the Newton paper regularly gets scooped in its own backyard by the twice-weekly Boston Globe West section, as well as the Metro section for larger stories. It would be nice to see the blog become a true daily news source in addition to a place for amusing commentary.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad Newton finally has started a blog...I really like h2otown.info and had been contemplating starting my own Newton blog. I know what you mean about incorporating questions into every post, though. I hope they are just doing that to initiate conversation and it won't be the typical style of their posts.

Chuck Tanowitz said...

I've also thought about starting something similar to H2Otown that just focuses on the West Newton/Newtonville area.

One idea I had would focus just on pricing information at the various markets: Russo's, Whole Foods, Shaws, Stop and Shop and Trader Joes. The cheapest milk seemt to vary from place to place almost weekly, but a group of people out shopping who can update that information daily would be a great resource.

Maybe choose a quick marketbasket of goods: milk, eggs, bananas, gasoline, etc.

But I just don't have the time for another project.

Anonymous said...

I think that's a great idea. If you ever decide to do something like that and would like someone to collaborate or anything, let me know. I'd be interested.

Eventually I definitely want to do a Newton blog (probably focusing on the North of the Pike section), but we'll see if I ever actually do it.